- No I don't think it should be privatised. The ABC is the only free to air non-commercialised channel and without it I think television coverage will become standardised and bland. If the ABC was privatised then whoever owned it could set their own agenda. The textbook says "a poll in 2004 revealed the ABC was the second most trusted organisation in Australia." If it was privatised the ABC would become just another channel.
- You should really hire on skill and experience, but you should also look at the current staff and maybe an extra male is needed to balance out the gender difference. It sounds terrible, and I usually don’t agree with things like this, but, honestly, you really need decent looking television reporters because this is the ‘face’ of your station. Thus I would probably hire the male. It does say two ‘strong’ job applications. Age is also another factor here. Although 38 is not ‘old’, a 28 year old could possibly be better suited to the position, especially if it meant on camera work.
- This is a tough question, as each medium has positive qualities different from one another. I think I would have to say web, due to its interactive nature, which could give it the ‘edge’ on being the best communicator. The web allows for audience feedback and efficient, up to date news with the click of a mouse. I would then say radio and television. Radio because of its efficiency and speed of getting news out there and television because of its visual advantages. Newspapers are still a strong communicator, but in today’s technologically advanced world, a newspaper has to wait until the next day to get news out there.
- Looking at the current federal election campaign so far, I think the media are focusing on the political issues of each party, but they are also giving particular attention to polls which show the preferred PM. It is usually Kevin Rudd. Thus, it could be argued that the media are focusing heavily on personalities of John Howard and Kevin Rudd, as I believe many voters want a change from Howard and want to see him gone.
These are a few points I found interesting in this weeks reading-
- A television news story may have a 20-second minimum but a maximum of 2 mins. Broadcast journalists must be more disciplined writers.
The Free TV Australia code-
- News and current affairs programs should be presented accurately and fairly
- News and current affairs programs should be presented with care, having regard to the likely composition of the viewing audience and in particular, the presence of children
- News and current affairs should take account of personal privacy and of cultural differences in the community
- News is to be presented impartially
The ACMA and industry codes of practice have no policies releating to one of the media industry's most controversial, commercially driven practices: checkbook journalism. Reading this shocked me. I think it devalues good journalism as those who end up with the story are the ones who can outbid the rest.
Key broadcast definitions-
- Voicer- This is what reporters write and speak themselves (voice-over). Usually around 30sec and from either a news event or in the studio.
- Actuality-This represents the 'actual' voice of the interviewee and/or natural sounds from a news event. Can last from 10-30secs.
- Grab-This is a comment from an interviewee ('soundbite' or 'talking head').
- Lead-This is the first paragrapgh of a reporter-scripted statement that set up the actuality or grab. It may identify and establish a context for the ensuing comments.
- Reader copy- A script read by the presenter.
- Talent-those being interviewed.
- Throw-The newsreader briefly introducing the reporter to the listener, or the reporter introducing an interview. It is related to the lead.
- Sign-off- 'tag'- completes the package with reporters giving their name and location.
- Worder-3 paragraphs, read by the newsreader, with no accompanying story visuals.
- Wrap-two or more stories packaged together. It is a voicer that may include one or more actualities as well as a studio-based intro. Usually around 45secs.

No comments:
Post a Comment