Monday, September 24, 2007

Journalism Blog- Week 11

Chapter 11- Reporting for duty

  1. This is yet another moral dilemma I would have trouble dealing with if I was placed in this situation. I believe this is a form of blackmail on the part of the policeman who said that no one would speak to me if our newspaper ran the story. However, I would have to listen to the advice (or orders) given by the chief-of-staff, as he is most senior and I would want to do what was correct by his standards. Although, in saying this, I would want to express my views and facts to the chief on the conversation had by myself and the policeman and inform him of this blackmail. But ultimately, I would respond in whatever way my boss wanted me to, even thought I know the events of the situation are wrong and unjust.
  2. I would keep the story to myself. I couldn't handle having something like that on my conscience if she had committed suicide. It would be like risking her life for the sake of a story. Since the crime wasn't too severe I can't see how it would affect public interest if I didn't notify my newspaper. If possible, I would try and offer the lady help and point her towards a professional counsellor.
  3. I would write the story. Celebrity cases such as these are very common these days! Just think of Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Ritchie. Ofcourse people will make a big deal about the case for a couple of days but I can't see a story such as this destroying a career. As fabulous as money and a free holiday sound, I wouldn't give in to bribery.
  4. I would report on the story mentioned in the question. If a juror feels comfortable to confide something like this in me, then he/she will probably be seeking justice. I would report on corrupt officers and the jurors as although the police in this case are corrupt, the media are not. It would be my responsibility to act as the fourth estate and it is definately in the publics interest to be informed about this case. As the textbook says, “a major omission is that we don’t report and analyse our justice system very well.” (pg. 251)

I found these points should be mentioned-

  • If journalists accept the responsibility of informing the public they must first accept the importance of being well informed themselves. They should develop both general and specific knowledge from a wide variety of sources.
    The contact book, more than any other single object, represents everything and everyone a journalist knows on a professional basis. It is known as the ‘journalist’s bible’. It is extremely important to have in order to receive information about potential stories or even to investigate current stories further.
  • Journalist’s other ‘assets’ should include-
    · Computer skills that include an ability to touch type
    · Shorthand to a minimum of 120 words per min
    · Knowledge of newspaper’s often complex telephone system
    · Access to a personal filing cabinet for ready access to reports and files containing articles you have clipped from newspapers and magazines relating to your particular round
    · A small radio with an earpiece or headphones to monitor news bulletins
    · A portable computer
  • Good journalists learn to be flexible and manage their time and tempers throughout the news-gathering and writing process. Strategies are-
    Politely ending an interview that has outlived its usefulness
    Using the telephone as much as possible when pushed for time, as opposed to in-person interviews.
  • Avoiding too much reliance on sound recorders, which can involve time consuming transcriptions and hunting backwards and forwards through an interview for direct quotes
  • Asking each source, at some time during and interview, where he or she will be in the next few hours in case further contact needs to be made.

    It is important to know all Contempt of Court laws!!! A new court reporter will need to learn the rules of evidence, court etiquette, and the law and policy on the availability of court documents. A good relationship with police and prosecutors is necessary.

No comments: