- Media companies need to ensure that the journalists working for them are properly prepared to be able to multi-skill and work across multiple mediums. What is the point of employing convergence if your journalists are merely producing average work across several mediums, when it may be more beneficial to the reputation of the company for the journalists to produce outstanding work in one medium? Indeed the quality of the work may be better if only one medium is utilised. The company must weigh up what is more important to them in terms of reputation, quality, efficiency and the type of journalist they want in their company before expecting their news room to become converged.
- If the person concerned refused to work on both mediums, I would suggest that their chances of staying with the company would have taken a severe dive. Many journalists and indeed journalism students of the future are becoming more multi-skilled and efficient working across mediums. The basic news values and essence of journalism remain no matter what medium is being used to communicate the message; it is the delivery and type of language that must be flexible. Several courses may be offered in the TAFE system, specific colleges and universities that the journalist in question should be able to take in order to gain confidence across both mediums.
- No, I don’t think convergence is just a fad, I think it is the way of the future for not only journalism but for many other careers as well. New ways of communication are continuously being established and news media must keep up to date with these in order to reach the maximum amount of people. In saying that, however, I do believe that traditional news mediums such as newspaper and radio still have significance and considerable worth in the modern media climate.
- Australia's media is already dominated by three main owners : Fairfax, Packer’s Nine network and News Corp. They already have the power to inject their own agendas in media programs, and I think if the laws were relaxed, non commercialised media and alternative programs will be eliminated all together.
- I think the future of radio, television and the web may be similar to the way it is now. The radio has the advantage of constant, portable news updates and headlines that may be consumed whilst completely another task. The internet similarly possesses the advantage of speed and constant updates, however is more restrictive in the manner in which it may be consumed. For example, I can listen to the radio all day whilst I am driving to different locations, but may only get on the internet a few times during the day via a computer or mobile phone. So whilst the radio maybe perceived as a more traditional method of communication, it continues to have a place in news media. The internet is obviously becoming more popular amongst media organisations but is limited in some respects in that there is so much information available, it can be difficult to find relevant and/or factual news. I believe television will always have a significant place in media as its methods of showing news through pictures combines the modern audiences need of visuals and explanations.
- Yes, I think it should be. The media environment is becoming increasingly multi-dimensional and it would hold journalism is good stead to be able to show a potential employer that they are confident, skilled and efficient in a variety of tasks crossing numerous news mediums. Even if, as a journalist, students are only required to report in one area, it is no harm to possess the relevant skills to branch off into other areas. Being prepared for multiple mediums can only be a good thing for journalism students.
- Yes I believe society is already at that point. There are so many things we couldn't do without it. Take applying and getting into university for example! And our reliance on the blackboard website. The internet provides an easy alternative for communication and we can communicate with people all over the world. We can access news from all over the world, watch video clips, share files. I think it is such an integral part of our lives these days. We are a society dependant on technology.
Things I found interesting this week-
http://www.journalismethics.ca/online_journalism_ethics/speed_and_accuracy.htm
An opinion on Online news -
One of the greatest benefits of online journalism is its ability to reach millions of people almost instantaneously. But the pressure to keep news current – online within minutes of an event’s occurrence – can jeopardize the accurate reportingof even the most ethically-conscious journalist. Furthermore, the proliferation of news outlets – bloggers by the millions, of course, but also cable television, satellite television, web sites, and web broadcasts – has resulted in a multi-media race to get “the” story 24 hours a day. As the pace intensifies, so does the pressure to cut corners.

No comments:
Post a Comment