- In this situation I would go out for the dinner and politely but firmly tell the source that I must pay for my own way in order to conduct my work ethically. There would no problem in this situation if the journalist paid their way and the source payed their, it is merely dinner. I would let the editor or my supervisors know where I am going, what I am going for and what I hope to achieve through the meeting, therefore they are aware of the situation.
- I would write the story the way I feel the trip went. I wouldn't be concerned about losing future free trips from the same airline, especially if I had just experienced an awful trip (regardless of cost!). I would have to consult my editor regarding the consequences of a negative review in relations to losing the advertising contract. The power of advertising might just overcome my negative review. I would let the editor decide, but if it was up to me I would write a negative report!
- I would admit the mistake and write an apology instead of taking a new angle. As a journalist, it is unacceptable to report inaccurately. I would tell the source of my concerns and if I lost the pay rise, it is my own fault in the first place!
- Considering that your loyalties as a journalist lie with your employer, I would run the story. Though the girl’s situation is heartbreaking and will undoubtedly change her life forever, she committed the crime and should be responsible for her actions. This may sound cold hearted, but it must be considered if she would in fact feel the same desperation if she hadn’t have been court for her offences. This situation was only brought about by her misconduct and the journalist is not a councillor, all I could do is offer any assistance I can, but tell the girl I have to run the story because it’s my job to do so.
- FEATURE ARTICLE
When sorry seems to be the hardest word to print By Kendyl Salcito
http://www.journalismethics.ca/feature_articles/sorry_hard_to_print.htm
- What is global journalism ethics?Global journalism ethics aims at developing a comprehensive set of principles and standards for the practice of journalism in an age of global news media. New forms of communication are reshaping the practice of a once parochial craft serving a local, regional or national public. Today, news media use communication technology to gather text, video and images from around the world, with unprecedented speed and varying degrees of editorial control. The same technology allows news media to disseminate this information to audiences scattered around the globe. Despite these global trends, most codes of ethics contain standards for news organizations or associations in specific countries. International associations of journalists exist, and some have constructed declarations of principle. But no global code has been adopted by all major journalism associations and news organizations. In addition to statements of principle, more work needs to be done on the equally important area of specific, practice guidelines for covering international events.An adequate global journalism ethics has yet to be constructed.
A great website for all the questions/answers about journalism ethics is:

No comments:
Post a Comment