Monday, August 20, 2007

Journalism Blog- Week 6

Chapter 6

  1. Yes, I think I would because it is important to include the ‘other side’ due to ethical reasons. I guess it is sonly fair to include a balancing comment. You are simply reporting it for public interests, it isn’t your job to prove a persons comments are completely untrue.
  2. I would publish it but acknowledge that an opposing side was unavailable and make an effort to publish a balancing comment as soon as possible. This could be unethical however. It depends how serious the issue in the story was. If it wasn’t very important I would withhold the story maybe for a later date to try and get a balancing comment. I would try to do what is best for public interests.
  3. I would look out for falling objects and injured people. I would make sure I wasn’t in the way of any rescue attempts either. I would interview witnesses and professionals such as fire brigades, as soon as it was safe to do so. Probably not friends and relatives straight away as they would be in a distraught state. I would just try to find the facts first, such as how it started.
  4. Yes, I think that the inverted pyramid is still used the most. I tend to read The Newcastle Herald most of the time and I find that the most important details are first and the endings seem to be on the boring side. I also think it is the most effective method of structuring material. This is because it is quicker and easier to find out the story and it’s most important facts first. For a majority of people today, time is an issue and this style is more efficient for those busy people.
  • Upside-down pyramids are known as one of the ‘seven wonders of the news room’. It is a basic news story structure- the inverted pyramid. It means that a story’s most important elements should appear at the top and then descend in order of importance. Readers what the most important info first.
  • This type of structure tends to include Kipling’s Six Strong Serving Men (the 5 Ws and the H).
  • The inverted pyramid is sub-editor-friendly. They simply cut from the bottom up of a story to make it fit.
  • There is rarely a conclusion in a news story, only the least important paragraph.
  • Issue-based stories structure for article- 1) intro (mentions A, B, C), 2) summary paragraph (further develops A), 3) supporting paragraph (elaborates on B and C), 4) quotation, 5) other issues (D, E, F), 6) A (full details), 7) B (full details), 8) C (full details), 9) D (full details), 10) E (full details), 11) F (full details).
  • Event-based news story (reactive)- May involve a chronology. May include: 1) injuries, 2) physical damage, 3) chronology/summary, 4) suspects/ explanation of cause, 5) quotations, 6) update (aftermath/investigation).
  • Guiding Principle- People are more interested in people than things. Therefore, death, injury and human tragedy are high on the public interest list.
  • Rather than getting details by phone, it is better to go to the scene of a major incident. When arriving at the scene, a good journalist will not rush in and try get close to the heart of the action. They will approach slowly, taking time to survey the incident- looking for potential dangers and threats to their own safety while getting a clear overview of the situation, something which will help them greatly when they write their article.
  • Witnesses can assist the reporter in cross-checking info provided by other sources.
  • Building blocks- 1) narrative 2) description 3) quotations 4) paraphrasing 5) exposition.
  • Transitional devices- ‘word bridges’, that glue stories together. Lead readers through an article. Tie paragraphs together, such as ‘furthermore’, ‘the previous paragraph.’
  • Block writing- involves putting facts and opinions on a related subject in adjoining series of paragraphs.
  • Fairness and balance are essential to content. Opposing viewpoints should be displayed high in the story. This is an ethical issue.
  • Establishing chronologies, accurately recording a sequence of events and the development of timelines can be critical in piecing together what has occurred.
  • Types of reporting- 1) straight traditional (inverted pyramid), 2) narrative (real characters act), 3) point of view (visible point) and 4) radical clarity (no assumptions).
  • Editors suggest- accept and use new forms and techniques, serve readers’ needs, encourage story-telling in news stories, think of the inverted pyramid as a form not the form for writing, insist on a separation of ‘news telling’ from opinion.


I personally think that the inverted pyramid should be followed by journalists who write news stories. In this era, it is a much more practical way of approaching a story and will achieve more followers to the newspaper that uses this type of structure.

No comments: