Chapter 2
1) I believe the media function 'inform' is the most important. As pages 31-32 in the text book suggest, the public relies on journalists and media to provide information about many things. This includes government policies, news and commerce. The informative function is linked to the idea of a 'watchdog role' and this is important as it aims to protect the public from those with political, legal and financial power who try to control the media. Few citizens can or want to attend parliament, public meetings or a criminal trial but many will want to know what happened. The informative role then comes into play in order to meet public interests.
2)To a large degree. The results of readership and profits show how the journalists and editors perform their key functions. A journalist should be using the figures as a form of feedback to their work. It should be important to journalists how many read their pieces. Profitability can also demonstrate the achievements of the media outlet.
3) No, I don't believe so. I think they should have a say in it but not have control and be able to decide on what does or doesn't get put into the media. It should be a group decision that has only the public interests in mind. It is important that newspapers/media fulfill their roles to inform and educate. The owner may only make choices based on their own gains which is a huge problem.
4) Yes, I believe it does. I was very disappointed to read (pg 36-37) about how little there is of it now. I do agree that it is very time consuming and costly, however I believe it is the best function that acts as a 'watchdog' (Fourth Estate). For the readers who have more time, it would sell papers and increase ratings as this type of journalism can provide new information and in depth coverage. The problem is though, as it stands, it doesn't ultimately sell papers or increase ratings. it would be better to put this type of reporting in the weekend paper or left to current affairs.
5) This is a very difficult proposition. On one side you need to perform the policy of recording the conviction. The medias function is to inform/educate the public on such matters however it is also important to have advertisers/income to keep the paper running, in order to do the functions they should do (pages 42-45). I personally would be loyal to the readers and act in the best interests of the public. I would publish the report as it is part of the policy. If anything, I might downplay the story and only make it brief. The reality is that you can find a new advertiser but it is difficult to find a new audience. If it wasn't in my paper then it would be in another. People who have more money should never be treated differently. it is about respect, policy and the forth estate.
Points I was interested in:
2)To a large degree. The results of readership and profits show how the journalists and editors perform their key functions. A journalist should be using the figures as a form of feedback to their work. It should be important to journalists how many read their pieces. Profitability can also demonstrate the achievements of the media outlet.
3) No, I don't believe so. I think they should have a say in it but not have control and be able to decide on what does or doesn't get put into the media. It should be a group decision that has only the public interests in mind. It is important that newspapers/media fulfill their roles to inform and educate. The owner may only make choices based on their own gains which is a huge problem.
4) Yes, I believe it does. I was very disappointed to read (pg 36-37) about how little there is of it now. I do agree that it is very time consuming and costly, however I believe it is the best function that acts as a 'watchdog' (Fourth Estate). For the readers who have more time, it would sell papers and increase ratings as this type of journalism can provide new information and in depth coverage. The problem is though, as it stands, it doesn't ultimately sell papers or increase ratings. it would be better to put this type of reporting in the weekend paper or left to current affairs.
5) This is a very difficult proposition. On one side you need to perform the policy of recording the conviction. The medias function is to inform/educate the public on such matters however it is also important to have advertisers/income to keep the paper running, in order to do the functions they should do (pages 42-45). I personally would be loyal to the readers and act in the best interests of the public. I would publish the report as it is part of the policy. If anything, I might downplay the story and only make it brief. The reality is that you can find a new advertiser but it is difficult to find a new audience. If it wasn't in my paper then it would be in another. People who have more money should never be treated differently. it is about respect, policy and the forth estate.
Points I was interested in:
- News power=personal power.
- Media sets the agenda for public debate.
- Freedom of the press 'for those who own it.'(JJ Liebing)
- 1975 Deputy PM, Jim Cairns said 'the media is the most powerful force in Australia today.'
- I find it interesting that a 2004 survey found that 66% of Australians relied on tv as their main source of news as apposed to newspapers.
- This chapter talks a lot about government influence over the media and shows how the 'fourth estate' is not working. Altschull (Agents of Power 1984)- 'An independent press is impossible because the press is no more than a tool for political and economic interests.'
- Media functions AJA Code (pg 30-31)- Seek truth and pass onto communities in ways which inform, educate and entertain. The media represent the publics right to hear, speak and be heard. Journalists and media can be followers or forerunners of public opinion- reactive or proactive. They can ignore corruption or expose it.
- Today little investigative journalism occurs due to lack of funding and time. Defamation laws means the possibility that the information gathered cannot be published. This was quite dissapointing as I would be interested in pursuing detailed investigations in the future. they are the most visible 'watchdog'.

No comments:
Post a Comment