Monday, August 13, 2007

Journalism Blog-Week 5

Chapter 5
1) I read the news on the front page and the other stories on the first few pages. This is where I learn the most about what is happening in the world at present. The next place I usually flip to is the classifieds. This is because I am seeking a new job and this section provides 'positions vacant'. I also like to have a look at my star sign, usually on the last page. Sport would be then next thing I would look at as I am interested to find out the footy scores and ladder but thats all I look at in the sports section.

2) I spend a lot more time watching television. I think that this is because you can watch tv and do something else at the same time. If I had the newspaper delivered to my house of a morning I would spend more tine reading the local paper because it is there and I have easy access to it.

3) I would definitely write the trick intro as long as it met the interests of the readers. The aim of your intro is to attract the reader and make them want to read on. Your trying to gain public attention. The central news value can then be added later.
4) Begin summarising the information and decide what angle to take. I would then begin writing the body of the story. This should allow you to create an intro in your mind which best summarises what has already been written and that will make a reader want to know more.
5) Have a word to the sub-editor, then write to your sources apologising ang explain what has happened. It wouold also be a good idea to try and publish the story again but re-written with a new angle that may shed light on how the last article should have been written and understood.
Some things that I learnt and found intersesting:
  • The lead (intro) is a reporters first, best and possibly only chance to impress the reader. It is the reporters journalistic signature. (pg 104)
  • The intro is the reporter's version of a headline.
  • Intro's are examined and are the major factor that determines whether a story will be run and where it will be placed. The intro is considered the most important part of a story and the most difficult to write.
  • An into's goal is to signal that what lies ahead will be informative, pleasurable, interesting, enlightening, compelling and educational. 'Spill the beans quickly.'
  • Leiter et al. (2000, p.93)- 'Good leads look deceptively simple because they flow effortlessly; they don't strain. Good leads have a strong sense of rhythm, unity and pace. They don't overwhelm the reader. They reach out and touch the reader with excitement or drama or humour and make her/him face a critical decision: should I go on?'
  • Newspapers present more facts, interpretation, and commentary to more people, in greater detail than any other news medium.
  • Research shows that people are first attracted to a photograph, then its caption, then the biggest headline, then its intro.
  • As a general rule news story intros should consist of a single sentence in a stand alone paragraph ranging from 20-25 words or less. Avoid 'run-on' sentences. Avoid generalisation and repetition, the vague, the obvious, the sensational, the misleading, the essay, the confusing, the meaningless.
  • Types of news intros- Direct (flat statement), attribution (offical figures), summary (all-in-one), decision (includes attribution), delayed (buried lead), question (avoid), quotation(only if it sums up the situation) and direct address ('you', 'I', 'we').
  • Keep intro's short and simple. Use the active voice (subject-verb-object), strongest part of message first, summarise, only use essentail detail, use present tense, stick to 'said', tell a story, avoid beat-ups (be fair,objective and accurate).
  • Plan your story- research subject first, make a list of people to interview, make a list of questions, use newsroom networking (finding sources) and organise your material.

No comments: